Monday, June 10, 2013

Be Your Own Kind of Wonderful

Hi everyone! Thank you, thank you for your votes for my Paper Crafts Gallery Idol Round 2 card. I made it to the Top 15!


I'm moving on to Round 3, and the challenge this time was to make your own stamped background. I'm not going to lie...when I saw this theme, I was pretty anxious. The last time I created my own stamped background that was not in Photoshop was...well, I can't even remember. But, I kept reminding myself that it's just stamping, and I do that. :)

Before I share the process, I wanted to show you the final card:



Last Friday after I saw the theme, I flipped through my inspiration files and stamps. I was inspired by THIS picture. I found a circle stamp from the Simon Says Stamp Circle Friends set, and began picking the colors.


I'm a little ashamed to admit that the sheet above was one of five test sheets to pick the colors--I must have tried about 50 inks. The blues, green, and yellow look summery to me, and I like how they looked when they overlapped.

I moved on to stamping the background. There was some testing to figure out the amount of overlap needed (seven lines overlapping for the rows and three lines for the columns in case you were curious). To make the lines straight, I used a stamp positioner. Even with that tool, I held my breath every time I stamped. ;) Here's what the sheet looked like when I was done:


Doesn't it look like a quilt? You can see in the top left where I dropped my block at the end of stamping (argh!!).

After all that work, I used a CAS design. Here's a close-up:



I used a digital brush for the frame around the sentiment from Rhonna Designs and typed in the sentiment. I added a tiny die-cut star using the Holiday Shapes die (love that die!). The card was finished off with a strip of the same aqua glitter cardstock at the top and some Caribbean twine from The Twinery.

As part of the Gallery Idol contest, there's a vote for the Top 10. If you like my card, I would really appreciate it if you vote for me! You can click on the link at the top of the sidebar or go HERE, click on the image, and vote. You do have to register (it's a quick process), but if you have already registered, you can simply log in. Thank you so much!

Thank you for stopping by and thank you for the support! Have a great week.


Supplies
Cardstock: (white) PTI); (blue) Bazzill; (aqua glitterstock) The Paper Studio/Hobby Lobby
Clear stamps: (circle from Circle Friends) Simon Says Stamp
Digital stamp: (frame around sentiment from Nautical Chic brushes) Rhonna Designs
Pigment ink: (Grass) Fresh Ink; (Sunflower Yellow, Pearlescent Sky Blue Brilliance Inks) Tsukineko
Twine: (Caribbean) The Twinery
Dies: (star from Holiday Shapes) Simon Says Stamp; (Small Circle) Spellbinders
Font: (Bell MT, Jenna Sue)

33 comments:

  1. Turned out great! I love how you stamped the pattern, and love the sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I like this alright! What a fun and fabulous card!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw this in the gallery... this is gorgeous! Love the colors, pattern of lines/circles, pop of rich blue through the die cut circle, line of bling. Wonderful design all around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the gorgeous splashes of color. Love this design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You nailed it and you're right - it is so you. Wonderful job, Jocelyn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AMMMMMMMMMMAZING! That's a fab background design! YOU ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So awesome, Jocelyn. Your background layer is stamped PERFECTLY... and aren't you glad you dropped your block away from the finished design? :) Top ten, here you come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HUGE CONGRATS to making it to the top 15! I loveeeeeeeeee this!! Off to vote!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfectly stamped, and I love that sentiment! Good luck with this round!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so fresh and fun...I loved reading about your process. That peekaboo glitter strip is awesome too!
    Good Luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. FABulous card-- your own kind of wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is beautiful. i love how you overlapped all those circles. I created one amazing background.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous stamping! Best wishes! gone to vote

    ReplyDelete
  14. AAAAWWWE-some card Jocelyn! Love that you shared your experimental data with us...only 5 trial sheets - wow, mine would have been 500! The colors definitely make me think of a sunny day with beautiful clear blue skies!

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE it! Huge congrats! I loved seeing the process behind your card. This colour combo is so fresh and modern and the card would be fab for either gender. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the background stamping!! Great colors... Stunning! hugs..x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome take on this challenge, Jocelyn! Love the layered stamping and colors! Good luck on this round!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a cool background! Awesome job! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jocelyn, this is absolutely stunning! I love the overlapped circles and the effect that the overlap gives. Great job, sistah!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh!!!!! this is so beautiful Jocelyn!!! I l LOVEE this card.Always love your ideas...Good Luck my sweet friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ohhh this is beautiful ... you did an amazing job with your background, I'd NEVER be able to get it lined up so perfectly. Good luck for the next round :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulousness! This is amazing! I haven't seen all the creations but this is gonna be a hard vote!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amazing stamping and colour choices, Jocelyn! This card is just magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  24. this is so beautiful. you aligned all those circles so perfectly, and i love the blended colors. good luck!
    -Rachel w k
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. What incredible precision. I loved it when I read that they overlap 7 lines and 3 lines. :) The colors blend perfectly! Good luck, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very pretty card..thanks for showing us how you created the great stamped background.

    ReplyDelete
  27. THE PRESSURE! I love that this card really reflects YOU. Funny how you get a feel for a person's creations -even when they're all so different! Perfect colours, layers, smidge of sparkle - and you KNOW I wish you all the luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Absolutely fantastic stamped background Jocelyn! I totally get what you mean about holding your breath - I would have been too!! Your end result is just fantastic though - all the tests and trials resulted in a completely perfect look, from the colours down to the positioning! Stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just saw the AWESOME news over on PC Connection. CONGRATS on making it to Gallery Idol Round 4, Jocelyn!! Good luck creating this weekend. I can't wait to see what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Stunning Jocelyn! Love the tiny strip of glitter beneath the twine. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments!

Blog Design by Caked Designs