Tuesday, August 9, 2011

It's a Sunshine Day

This morning I realized that summer is winding down--where did the summer go? Yikes! I love summer, and I find myself constantly making summer- and sun-theme cards. So I made another for this week's CAS-ual Friday challenge:


The challenge is to combine glitter and glue dots or glue strips. This challenge was, well, a challenge! Here's what I came up with:


I have a definite love-hate relationship with glitter. I love the look of glitter but hate how it gets everywhere and you can't get rid of it (how can it possibly stay on after swimming??). Needless to say, I have almost no loose glitter.

I had the idea of making a sun, but since I didn't have any yellow glitter, I mixed clear glitter with yellow Stickles to get a nice yellow shimmer (yep, it took about 12 hours to dry). I tried every type of glue dot in my stash to figure out the scale, and in the end I used a Gluber cut in half. It worked like a charm!

I used 8 different patterned papers to make the sun rays and tried not to overthink the layout. It was a struggle to not get out my ruler! I love how random they look, though.

Thanks for looking! Have a great day!


Here are the deets:
Stamps: (Textile Rectangles) MFT
Ink: (Pumpkin) Stampin' Up
Cardstock: PTI
Patterned Paper: (Playground & Summertime collections) Echo Park, (June Bug) Basic Grey, (Rocket Age) October Afternoon, (Salt Air & old collection) Cosmo Cricket, Bazzill

29 comments:

  1. Oooh this is divine! Definitely worth the 12 hours! Love your design too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so gorgeous Jocelyn.... Worth the 12 hours... you did it so well...love the sun... love your design too...GORGEOUS CAS card... hugs...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the patterns, and that lovely sentiment. This is just gorgeous! As for glitter, there's a comic named Demitri Martin (not sure of the spelling of his first name, but anyway) that says glitter is the herpes of the crafting world. Even when you think it's gone, it's still there ;) That always gives me a chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, I have a "can't do random" issue, too, but I'm glad to see you were able to overcome it to make a fabulous card! And for such a tricky, challenge, too. Love all the patterned papers you used!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very fun idea! I love the sparkly sun and the great pp rays. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just about gasped when I saw this. You know I'm a sucker for mixing patterned papers. Love love love this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness I love this! How fun!!!! This is totally fantastic and a fabulous take on the challenge! Glad you didn't fuss over the rays! They are perfect!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Jocelyn, this is gorgeous!! I love it how bright and happy this card is, brings a smile to my face :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super amazing card Jocelyn! I really love this one, it's so clever with the 'large' glue dot sun and those multi papered sunrays, it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL! Love that you wanted to get out your ruler! Glad you resisted as the random strips look so cool. And that stripy green paper is perfect for the hillside. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was browsing the other CASual Friday entries and your card totally caught my eye!! A lot of great work on your blog. I had a little snoop around :)
    Farrah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just 100% love everything about this.
    Kudos to you for not using your ruler and for creating your yellow sun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your card came out very cute...I know what you mean about having a glitter battle..

    ReplyDelete
  14. This card is awesome, Jocelyn! I love the random rays with all the patterned papers. And that is one big glue dot/Gluber! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Outstanding work, Jocelyn!! Love the glittery sun and rays of sunshine! Beautiful idea and execution! Thanks SO much for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE your take on the challenge! I may "ilft" this and make a similar sun for my sons' beach vacation LO's! Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohhhhh! This is amazing! Seriously! This should be a winner for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh, those sunrays just make me happy! I do so love randomness ;)
    Love the glitter/gluber/sun as well -- worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it! I like how the sun is tucked in.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it! Makes me happy looking at it :) Glad you got glitzy with us this week at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sooooo FAB!
    Thanks for playing at CAS-ual Fridays!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  22. This. is. amazing. I LOVE this! CAS goodness! That sun is gorgeous with those rays and the sparkle! I love it Jocelyn! I am glad you played along with CAS-ual Fridays this week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous card. Congrats on your win.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats, congrats!! So happy for you, Jocelyn!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats! I totally fell in love with this card when I saw it!!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats ma'am! Happy to see your name over at the CAS-ual Fridays blog this week! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Woot, congrats on your win, Jocelyn! This card is amazing and deserves the recognition.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yay...congrats on your win Jocelyn! Such a happy (and very sunny) card!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments!

Blog Design by Caked Designs