Sunday, October 9, 2011

Chevron Feather

I grew up in the Phoenix area, and I still love the southwestern motifs--the colors, the angles, the repetition of patterns. So even though the the Moxie Fab World Tuesday Trigger is a dessert, the colors, the rustic feel, and striped layers reminded me of a southwestern vibe:


So, playing with the southwestern feel and stripes, I came up with an idea based on a feather. I must say I find some irony in the fact that I thought of a feather when I looked at an overloaded dessert (maybe I thought it was a low-cal dessert). Anyhoo, here's this card:


This card is actually my second version. The first one had the feather's quill, but there were some wonky issues with balance (it didn't look right unless I made the card about 9" tall). Oh well...live and learn. In this version, I eliminated the quill and ran the chevrons all the way down. I also left the chevron edges unglued to make the edges more feathery, so some of the points are a little curled up.

The chevrons are over a golden shimmery Bazzill that I misted with Mr. Huey's Cream. It's a little hard to see the misting in the photo, but here's a close-up:


The sentiment is from Technique Tuesday's Studio AE's August set (isn't it a fab stamp?). I also added a thin strip of wood veneer along the side. Beside the fact that I am addicted to my husband's stash of veneer lately, I think it works with the rustic look of the card.

Thanks for looking!

25 comments:

  1. Wow, while I don't see a feather in that Trigger I have to say that I just plain love your card and your take on the Trigger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Jocelyn! A fabulous take on the trigger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you used the colours and make that fantastic feather! (And I'm still cracking up over your dessert comment...) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very awesome and very creative...love the design..

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome graphic card. great take of the trigger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a great take on the trigger. I am always amazed at how everyone is so differently inspired. Lovely effect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful Card JOcelyn!!!...A fabulous take on the trigger!..you rocked !!! hugs...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the 'graphic-ness' of this design! Totally awesome Jocelyn! Me?... I just want one of those desserts to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a cool and modern take on the inspiration photo! Love the colors of the chevrons and your sentiment choice is fantastic too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooo I think you should win awards for this fancy piece of work!!! Seriously so super cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoa! This is so sophisticated and gorgeous! This is definitely an example of chevrons done right.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the chevron stripes! Brilliant stripes!! And thanks for following me...
    I love your work, and am gonna follow you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How COOL and effective!!!Love your take of the TT, Jocelyn!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Jocelyn! Thanks for linking this up to this week's Tuesday Trigger in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jocelyn, this is so cool! I love the colours, textured cardstock and sentiment. You are making me want every TT stamp you use!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a cool and elegant take on the trigger! Wood veneer, huh? Must check the workshop... :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the colours and pattern on this CAS card... great work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is awesome! Great use of the veneer - and I love the chevron stripes!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. *love* this - it looks so super fiddly, but with a simple end effect. I don't even know if that makes sense, but it's a compliment, lol!
    Love the addition of the wood veneer, and the sentiment. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow...now that's creative genius!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the colors and chevron-y-ness! What a cool take on the trigger!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How did I miss this post!!! This is so totally cool, and I love your vision from the trigger! Awesome take for sure! You should frame it! Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is AMAZING--I LOVE LOVE LOVE your design and I LOVE the monochromatic theme! FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love those bold chevrons...a really clever take on the photo inspiration :)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments!

Blog Design by Caked Designs